LOS ANGELES TENANT ATTORNEY
The lawyers at The Brinton Firm PC are experienced in a wide range of legal practice areas relating to the landlord-tenant relationship in Southern California. We are a legal practice that represents clients from all walks of life, because everyone has the same civil protections and rights under the law. We have represented residential and business clients in a large variety of lawsuits against their landlords.
Whether you are involved in a dispute about repairs or rental costs, live in an illegal unit, have been harmed on your landlord’s property, or are suffering from an infestation of vermin in your building, we can help!
It’s important to protect your rights as a tenant. Don’t accept mistreatment by a landlord. Instead, reach out to an attorney that can take legal action against your landlord to safeguard your rights under California law. Contact us for more information about our firm and your legal rights.
Tell Us About Your Problems
Southern California has hundreds of thousands of residential and commercial buildings, almost all of which involve a landlord-tenant relationship. We have deep expertise in all aspects of landlord-tenant law, including:
- Cases where one party breaches their lease
- Illegal utility shut-offs
- Disagreements about whether the landlord or tenant is responsible for something
- Violations of local rent control laws like the Los Angeles Rent Stabilization Ordinance and the Beverly Hills and Santa Monica rent control ordinances
- Claims of illegal or substandard construction
Every residential lease contains an implied warranty of habitability: that is, a requirement that the landlord maintain a minimum level of repair and pest control at the property. We have extensive experience prosecuting small and large-scale habitability lawsuits.
If your home is infested with roaches, bedbugs, or rodents, or lacks functional heating, plumbing, or utility services, we can help advocate for your rights in court. We have also brought lawsuits on behalf of tenants whose rental units were contaminated with asbestos, mold, or lead paint.
PREMISES LIABILITY & PERSONAL INJURY
Liability for injuries that occur on your landlord’s property is a significant portion of our practice. We represent tenants in lawsuits such as:
- Alleging personal injuries caused by dangerous or defective conditions in buildings or on land
- Actions seeking to abate nuisances that make people sick
- Cases involving assault and battery
- “Toxic torts” such as land contamination by oil leaks or chemical spills
- Holding the property owner liable for the condition of the property
- Fraudulent concealment
- Fraudulent misrepresentations
- Fraudulently recorded deeds of trust or liens
- Fraudulent conversion
- Embezzlement of client or member funds
We also have extensive experience in lawsuits claiming breach of fiduciary duty, malicious conduct, and intentional damage to land or buildings.
LEASE AND CONTRACT DISPUTES
We represent clients in all aspects of contract litigation, including:
- Lawsuits when one party fails to make a payment or perform under a contract
- Cases for breach of a lease’s explicit or implied covenants
- Breach of guaranty
- Cases seeking reformation or rescission of a purchase contract or lease.