Water Damage Attorney In
Los Angeles

According to the California Civil Code, a landlord is responsible to repair any flood or water damage on a property and provide his/her tenants with habitable living conditions

How We Help With Water and Flood Damage Claims

The Brinton Firm is dedicated to advocating for residential tenants throughout Southern California who have suffered from flood and water damage in their rental properties. Our experienced attorneys understand the devastating impact water damage can have on your living situation and personal belongings. We’re here to help you recover compensation for damages, replace lost property, cover medical expenses if needed, and hold negligent landlords accountable.

Our specialized legal team is dedicated to advocating for tenants affected by water damage and related issues, leveraging our extensive knowledge of California landlord-tenant laws to safeguard your rights. We understand the nuances of navigating claims for water damage and the intricacies involved in holding landlords accountable. Whether it involves filing insurance claims, initiating legal action against negligent landlords, or negotiating settlements that acknowledge the severity of your situation, we are committed to ensuring your voice is heard and respected. Our goal is to fight diligently on your behalf, utilizing every available resource to achieve the justice and equitable treatment you rightfully deserve.


Our experienced tenant lawyers in California are committed to helping tenants claim their rights that have been neglected for too long. With decades of experience, we have recovered millions from landlords who fail to provide safe properties as required by law. We aim to empower tenants with knowledge and determination to fight for justice.


Rental Agreements and Water Damage:
Know Your Rights and Landlord’s Responsibilities

When you have a rental agreement between you and your landlord it should define the rules in terms of how water damage to your home should be handled.

It is important to understand what your rental agreement says about water damage. It might specify that your landlord can evict you in the situation when there is full or partial water damage. 

Advocacy for Tenants: Navigating Flood and Water Damage Claims in Southern California

The Brinton Firm helps residential tenants in the Southern California area who have been impacted by flood and water damage in their rented property.

Our tenant attorneys can expertly navigate the legal system on behalf of Flood and Water damage victims to protect your rights to a safe, healthy, habitable home.



    What Type Of Damage Can Water Cause?

    Understanding the Risks: The Impact of Water Damage on Apartment Safety and Integrity

    Water damage can be detrimental to an apartment and the people living in it. It can cause structural damage to walls, floors, and ceilings, leading to cracks and even collapse. Electrical systems may also be damaged, increasing the risk of electrocution and fire hazards.

    Rubber ducks floating in a flooded laundry room.

    Immediate Action Needed: The Health Hazards and Property Risks of Water Damage

    Water damage can also create a favorable environment for mold growth, which can cause health issues for those with allergies and respiratory problems. In addition, water can leave stains, discoloration, and unpleasant odors that are hard to remove. Personal property can also be damaged, including furniture, electronics, and clothing. It is important to address water damage as soon as possible to minimize its negative impact.



      How Can I File A Property Damage Claim?

      Damaged Rental Property?
      If your rental is damaged, promptly report it to your landlord and file a claim with your renter’s insurance. Confirm the damage is covered by reviewing your policy, then document the damage with photos or videos. Notify your insurance, supplying all necessary details, and cooperate with their investigation, which may include providing contractor estimates. Your insurance will assess the claim and, if approved, will offer a settlement for repair or replacement costs.

      When to Call a Lawyer?
      If you encounter any issues during the claims process, it’s best to contact The Brinton Firm attorneys for legal guidance. They can help you navigate any legal challenges or disputes with your insurance company and ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to under your policy. Remember to always read and understand your insurance policy and report any damages to your insurer as soon as possible to avoid any delays in the claims process.

      Blue sticky note with "call us" written on it, clipped to a stand with blurred laptop and coffee cup in the background.



        Man pointing to document, engaging in discussion with concerned woman.

        Your landlord should proactively prevent water damage in your rental by:

        • Maintenance Program: Implement a comprehensive maintenance program, including regular repairs or replacements of aging pipes, water heaters, and plumbing fixtures
        • Appliance Care: Properly install and maintain all water-using appliances like washing machines and dishwashers. Replace faulty or aging appliances promptly
        • Adequate Ventilation: Ensure proper ventilation and airflow throughout the property to prevent moisture buildup and mold growth
        • Exterior Maintenance: Regularly clear gutters, downspouts, and ensure proper drainage away from the building foundation
        • Prompt Response: Respond swiftly to tenant reports of water damage or potential issues to mitigate further damage



        Settlement in a case alleging fraud by a property manager

        Settlement for tenants living with roaches and sewer leaks
        Settlement for a tenant injured by asbestos in her apartment
        For tenants displaced by a fire
        For a tenant harmed in a ceiling collapse
        For a family forced to live with rats and roaches
        For tenants displaced by asbestos
        For a tenants with a roach infestation
        lead poisoning lawyer
        My landlord hasn’t completed the repairs what happens next?

        Serious water damage can cause health problems if not acted upon quickly. What can a tenant do?

        Repair and Deduct

        A tenant is allowed to deduct one month’s rent to pay for repairs in a rental unit if conditions are inhabitable and are affecting their health or safety.

        Withhold Rent

        This is a method to force your landlord to address the problem quickly. Do not spend your extra money! You should keep the rental payments separate until the issue is resolved. Speak to us before you choose to withhold rent.

        Abandon the Unit

        The flood or water damage is extensive and would need more than just one month to repair. You are allowed to move out. Again, it might be wise to contact an experienced attorney to advise you.


          Skip to content