LOS ANGELES TENANT HABITABILITY ATTORNEYS
The Brinton Firm specializes in handling cases that involve a tenant-landlord relationship, including cases concerning breach of the warranty of habitability. Our lawyers have recovered millions of dollars in settlements for tenants living in slum conditions.
Habitability laws are simply laws that require that a landlord maintains a minimum level of comfort at a home. A landlord should provide basic maintenance, such as repair and pest control, at any properties that they own, allowing tenants to live comfortably as they should. Cases regarding habitability have been increasing in recent years, primarily due to the fact that more people are researching and becoming aware of their own rights as tenants.
EXAMPLES OF THE TYPES OF HABITABILITY CASES THAT THE BRINTON FIRM HANDLES
- Homes that are infested with roaches, bedbugs, and rodents, due to the landlord’s failure to conduct pest control or fumigate are not habitable.
- Homes that lack functional plumbing, heating, electrical, or other utility service have no habitability.
- Homes that have not been repaired to adequate living conditions, causing a risk to the tenants are a violation of habitability law.
- Lead-based paint related illnesses or injuries that occur in a once habitable rental home or commercial rental property.
- Asbestos contamination of rental units and homes due to unsafe maintenance or construction practices.
- Severe mold contamination in violation of habitability law.
What makes a home habitable?
A habitable home should also be structurally sound, with complete and solid walls, floor and roof. All electrical systems should be up to current code and safe for people to utilize without risk of electrical fire or blowing a fuse and disabling the system. All of the windows and doors should not only work, but should have adequate working locks to keep the tenants safe from intruders. Any lead-based paint hazards must be declared to all tenants, and should be quickly treated and removed. Any type of injury or medical issue that occurs as a result of the home not being fully habitable will be the responsibility of the landlord. This is where our legal expertise comes in. We’re able to review your situation and see if you have a case against the landlord, then determine who is at fault and responsible for any damages or injuries.
Habitability Law Experts
Contact The Brinton Firm today. We have a caring and capable team ready to help you with your case.
Creative Heads Inc.
Matt is like a legal-Sith master for good. Incisive. Decisive. Insightful. Authoritative. Trustworthy. Steady. A mediation-maverick, with a briefcase in place of a light saber (and he sports dapper suits)
Matt and his colleague Nick have been absolutely exemplary to work with. They are both very knowledgeable, direct yet easy to work with, patient and most importantly, got the result we were all hoping for