LOS ANGELES TENANT ATTORNEYS AND LAWYERS FOR LEGAL HABITABILITY CASES AGAINST LANDLORDS
LOS ANGELES TENANT -ATTORNEYS FOR HABITABILITY CASES
The Brinton Firm PC specializes in handling cases that involve a tenant-landlord relationship under California State law, including cases concerning a legal breach of the implied warranty of habitability.
We believe strongly in protecting your rights under California law, including your right to a safe and secure home. Our firm has recovered millions of dollars from landlords through legal settlements that hold landlords accountable for negligence, illegal practices, and unsafe or slum-like properties.
In the state of California, habitability laws are legal and civil protections that require landlords to maintain a minimum level of maintenance and pest control. A landlord should provide basic maintenance – including necessary repairs and pest control – at any properties that they own to ensure that tenants can live comfortably. If a landlord allows a property to become dilapidated and infested with vermin, the tenant can sue and may be entitled to considerable damages.
Tell Us About Your Problem
Cases regarding habitability legal protections have been increasing in recent years, primarily due to the fact that more clients are researching and becoming aware of their own civil and legal rights as tenants. Clients of our firm get help taking legal action against landlords who threaten their safety and civil rights.
Don’t let landlords take advantage of you or force you to live in slum conditions! If your apartment suffers from an infestation of rats, roaches, or bedbugs, or if it is contaminated with mold, asbestos, and lead paint, contact us.
Our legal team is experienced in California habitability rights and can help advocate for you in court and protect you from malicious landlords. Contact us today to discuss your concerns and case.
EXAMPLES OF THE TYPES OF HABITABILITY CASES THAT THE BRINTON FIRM HANDLES
- Homes that are infested with pests such as roaches, bedbugs, or rodents due to the landlord’s failure to conduct pest control or fumigate are not habitable or legal under California state and local law.
- Homes that lack functional plumbing, heating, electrical, or other utility services have no habitability and are not legal under California state and local law.
- Homes with water damage, fire damage, or other damage that has not been repaired to provide adequate living conditions cause a risk to the tenants and are a violation of California state and local law.
- Contamination from lead paint and asbestos presents an extremely serious health hazard. California state and local law mandates that a landlord remediate these problems immediately.
- Severe mold contamination is a breach of the implied warranty of habitability.
- Retaliation against tenants who request repairs or raise issues that the landlord is responsible for is illegal and can be the subject of a legal complaint.
What makes a home habitable?
A habitable home should:
- Be structurally sound, with complete and solid walls, floor and roof.
- Be free from rats, roaches, bedbugs, or any other type of vermin.
- Have all electrical systems up to current code and safe for people to utilize without risk of electrical fire or blowing a fuse and disabling the system.
- Have adequate working locks to keep tenants safe from intruders.
- Have functioning windows and doors
- Be free of lead-based paint hazards. If such hazards are present, this must be declared to all tenants and then should be quickly remedied.
If you’re dealing with any of the above situations, the Brinton Firm can help you get recourse and protect your rights.
Injuries Due To Uninhabitable Properties
The landlord is usually liable for any type of injury or medical issue which occurs as a result of the tenant’s home not being fully habitable. This is where our legal expertise comes in. We’re able to review your situation and see if you have a case against the landlord, then determine who is at fault and responsible for any damages or injuries.
Habitability Law Experts
Contact The Brinton Firm today. We have a caring and capable team ready to help you with your case.
Creative Heads Inc.
Matt is like a legal-Sith master for good. Incisive. Decisive. Insightful. Authoritative. Trustworthy. Steady. A mediation-maverick, with a briefcase in place of a light saber (and he sports dapper suits)
Matt and his colleague Nick have been absolutely exemplary to work with. They are both very knowledgeable, direct yet easy to work with, patient and most importantly, got the result we were all hoping for
Do you have any questions ?