Water Damage Attorney In Los Angeles

According to the California Civil Code, a landlord is responsible to repair any flood or water damage on a property and provide his/her tenants with habitable living conditions


When you have a rental agreement between you and your landlord it should define the rules in terms of how water damage to your home should be handled.

It is important to understand what your rental agreement says about water damage. It might specify that your landlord can evict you in the situation when there is full or partial water damage. 

The Brinton Firm helps residential tenants in the Southern California area who have been impacted by flood and water damage in their rented property.

Let us help you recover damages, replace lost property, pay medical bills, and hold landlords accountable.

Our tenant attorneys can expertly navigate the legal system on behalf of Flood and Water damage victims to protect your rights to a safe, healthy, habitable home.

What Type Of Damage Can Water Cause?

Water damage can be detrimental to an apartment and the people living in it. It can cause structural damage to walls, floors, and ceilings, leading to cracks and even collapse. Electrical systems may also be damaged, increasing the risk of electrocution and fire hazards. Water damage can also create a favorable environment for mold growth, which can cause health issues for those with allergies and respiratory problems. In addition, water can leave stains, discoloration, and unpleasant odors that are hard to remove. Personal property can also be damaged, including furniture, electronics, and clothing. It is important to address water damage as soon as possible to minimize its negative impact.

How Can I File A Property Damage Claim?
If your property has been damaged, it’s essential to file a claim with your insurance company as soon as possible. First, review your insurance policy to ensure the damage is covered. Then, document the damage by taking pictures or videos of the affected areas. Once you have all the necessary information, notify your insurance company of the damage and provide any additional details they require. Be sure to cooperate with their investigation and provide estimates from contractors if necessary. Your insurance company will review the claim and either approve or deny it. If approved, they will issue a settlement to cover the cost of repairs or replacement.

If you encounter any issues during the claims process, it’s best to contact The Brinton Firm attorneys for legal guidance. They can help you navigate any legal challenges or disputes with your insurance company and ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to under your policy. Remember to always read and understand your insurance policy and report any damages to your insurer as soon as possible to avoid any delays in the claims process.



    Flood and Water Damage Law Firm

    When should the landlord repair?

    According to the California Civil Code, a landlord is responsible to repair any flood or water damage problem on a property and provide his/her tenants with habitable living conditions. This also includes damage by water and flood.

    A water-damaged property should be covered by the landlord’s property insurance. But, it would depend on whose fault it is. If the tenant is at fault, his renter’s insurance should pay up. The flood and water damage attorneys at The Brinton Firm have decades of experience helping lead-poisoned children. If you or your child has been exposed, please call us now.

    Lead poising attorney


    Our experienced tenant lawyers in California are committed to helping tenants claim their rights that have been neglected for too long. With decades of experience, we have recovered millions from landlords who fail to provide safe properties as required by law. We aim to empower tenants with knowledge and determination to fight for justice.

    lead poisoning lawyer
    My landlord hasn’t completed the repairs what happens next?

    Serious water damage can cause health problems if not acted upon quickly. What can a tenant do?

    Repair and Deduct

    A tenant is allowed to deduct one month’s rent to pay for repairs in a rental unit if conditions are inhabitable and are affecting their health or safety.

    Withhold Rent

    This is a method to force your landlord to address the problem quickly. Do not spend your extra money! You should keep the rental payments separate until the issue is resolved. Speak to us before you choose to withhold rent.

    Abandon the Unit

    The flood or water damage is extensive and would need more than just one month to repair. You are allowed to move out. Again, it might be wise to contact an experienced attorney to advise you.


      Skip to content